Rohypnol Substance Abuse
What is Rohypnol?
Rohypnol is a brand name for Flunitrazepam, a powerful sedative in the benzodiazepine class of drugs. Rohypnol has never been approved for use in the United States; however, it is legally prescribed for medical use in more than 50 foreign countries for the treatment of insomnia and as a pre-anesthetic. Widely known as a date-rape drug, Rohypnol is abused more frequently for other reasons — to produce profound intoxication, boost the high of heroin and modulate the effects of Cocaine.
How is it taken?
Rohypnol is available in small white tablets that can be taken orally, ground up and dissolved in a drink or snorted.
What are the effects?
- The pharmacological effects of Rohypnol include sedation, muscle relaxation, reduction in anxiety and prevention of convulsions. It is seven to 10 times more potent than Valium.
- Rohypnol may cause users to feel intoxicated; they may have slurred speech, impaired judgement and difficulty walking.
- Rohypnol also causes partial amnesia, and individuals are often unable to remember certain events that they experienced while under the influence of the drug.
- The effects appear 10 to 20 minutes after taking the drug and can last between four and 24 hours.
What are the dangers?
- Immediate adverse effects include drowsiness, dizziness, loss of motor control, lack of coordination, slurred speech, confusion and gastrointestinal disturbances.
- Rohypnol can cause deep sedation, respiratory distress and blackouts that can last up to 24 hours.
- Chronic use can result in physical dependence and withdrawal syndrome when the drug is no longer used.
- There is a potential for overdose or death to occur, especially when mixed with alcohol or other drugs.
- Chronic use of Flunitrazepam can result in physical and psychological dependence and the appearance of a withdrawal syndrome when the drug is discontinued.
For all treatment needs and levels of care, Inspirations’ employs a team of qualified and caring teen addiction treatment professionals, offering a Treatment Program for Adolescents/Teens, who are demonstrating destructive, rebellious, and defiant behaviors resulting in personal and family dysfunction. Our goal in teen addiction treatment is to treat the disease, build the teen’s self confidence and reunite the family. Our teen prescription drug addiction treatment programs are designed around a positive environment to boost the teens self-esteem and produce long term results.
The teen addiction treatment combines a motivational program with the “accountability” concept, emphasizing, respect for family, respect for others, and a teamwork approach towards daily goals and accomplishments. During your teens enrollment to our Teen Prescription Addiction Treatment Center we will tailor a personal educational plan for your teenager. Inspirations for Youth and Families offer an “On-Site” Preparatory format school program in order for our teens to maintain High School Credits.